Cross Country Adventure in a 65 Dart wagon

Cross Country Adventure in a 65 Dart wagon

[AD removed for archives]
Is Gay Marriage a Civil Rights Issue? Click here and win.
caacDvRb7yoMza/PermissionData

Hello all
As the list may know I'm contemplating flying out to LA and picking up a 65 Dart wagon I won on eBay and driving cross country back to VA.  I received an email from the owner's gentleman friend.  He doesn't think it's a good idea to drive it back.  His main 2 reasons are gas gauge doesn't work and everytime the tank is filled up, the car gets a real strong gas smell for a couple of days (probably until the gas level goes down I'm thinking).  He said "it's one thing to drive to work and back but to be in the car for days i'm afraid you might do some serious brain damage or something" and goes on to say he thinks I should wait until I'm in my "own area code" to do some serious driving.  The car has had a bunch of documented work/new parts within the last 2 years/8000 miles: belts, upper/lower radiator hoses, new heater hoses, radiator recored, intake/exhaust manifold gaskets and resurfaced gasket mating surface, sparkplug tube seals, valve cover gasket, timing cover gasket, front and rear shocks, front brakes, new front drums, new front wheel cylinders, new idler arm, wheel bearings serviced, transmission serviced, new air filter, 4 new tires, reman starter, rebuilt carb, new distributor and owner says previous owner claims engine was rebuilt.  Car starts first time, idles smooth and has lots of power for a 6.  Other than the gas gauge and smell, the PB Booster "leaks vacuum when the pedal is applied", Trans has a slight leak but nothing serious, right side of the suspension "clunks" when braking (strut rod bushing?), and the 7 1/4 is not as quiet as it should be.  I've compared having it trailered by a transport company versus flying out, driving, food, lodging expenses back and assuming no breakdowns or other problems, the cost is about the same.  I know it's one thing to drive from NJ back to VA with a chase car (65 Valiant convert won on eBay), but is cross country in a 39 yo car that I personally can't vouch for without benefit of much help asking for trouble?  I realize opinions are like belly buttons, but based upon the plusses/minus's, would anyone care to comment as to drive versus transport?  Has anyone else undertaken something along these lines?  Thanks in advance for any advice, input or comments.
Don

[AD removed for archives]
Are Americans getting fat? Give us your opinion and win.
caacDvYb7yoMzf/PermissionData

----

b7yoMz.