The 4 speed is in!

[AD removed for archives]
Shop online for Discount Auto Parts: Mirrors Headlights Tail
Lights Bumpers Fenders Window Regulators Spoilers Altezza Lights
and a Full Line of Auto Body Parts. www.partstrain.com
caacxygb7yoMza/Parts Train

Well I finally managed to get the Polara back together. I learned a few things in the process as well.

First off, I bought a C-body 4spd transmission mount from Imperial Services, but it did not line up at all. I blame this on the fact that I have an automatic crossmember (I suspect the mount box is in a different place for a 4spd car) and an A-833OD transmission, which prevents me from being certain the pad on the tailshaft housing is in the same place as on an original transmission. I was able to drop in a readily available mount for cars of a slightly later vintage, though it only uses one stud instead of two. I double checked my pinion angle for the fun of it and all is well there.

The shifter handle was also not quite right to fit the console. A hacksaw and welder fixed that prompty, but below the boot and out of sight. I've got a Spectre boot from Pep Boys for a lower boot. The console is in, but without the top plate as it will be customized (from an automatic plate, not an original 4spd plate). I'm hoping that by cutting my own plate, I can make a small Hurst boot fit cleanly up top since an original boot is hard to come by.

My brother and I fabbed a Z-bar and frame mount in a few hours Wednesday evening; the car was driving before lunch on Thursday. I'm very happy with the new transmission, especially the overdrive that lets me run 2,000 rpm at 70 mph (3.23 rear, 255/60R15 rear tires). I've put about a hundred miles on it since Thursday and the gas mileage has already gone up. I didn't start the 4spd on a full tank, so I can't get accurate numbers until the next time I fill up.

My only complaints are that I kinda miss my power brakes, and at some point I may make an effort to get them back (I didn't want to spend the time on that right now). Also, the transmission doesn't like to do a 3-2 downshift at speed. You can pull it out of third anytime you like, but it won't take second quietly until you're crawling. I resealed the transmission and put new bearings in it, but I didn't touch the synchros since they looked good. Its nice and quiet except for reverse, which is always noisy since its straight cut. The Luk clutch holds well. I used the rep set 05-016, which comes with the 11" 23 spline disc, a diaphragm style pressure plate (no 3 finger Borg & Beck here), pilot bushings (which I didn't use in favor of the Chrysler roller bearing), and a throwout bearing complete with the clips.

Now I just need to put some more miles on it. Sorry for the long read, if you got this far.

Dave Casey

[AD removed for archives]
Stories from the Civil Rights Movement. Extraordinary stories,
ordinary people. Share your memories today!
caacvglb7yoMzf/AARP

----

b7yoMz.