RE: Power Brake Conversion?

I can attest to the sludge when you mix dot 5 with dot 3.
I bought an 86 Harley years ago and didn't know that they used dot 5 in them.
When I changed a front caliper and brake pads I added dot 3 to the master cylinder. Luckily I didn't get killed. When I started getting soft pressure when I gripped the lever it would still stop but couldn't figure out what the problem was. Duh...Too stupid to check the fluid level..
When I mentioned this to one of my riding buddy's one day about the soft mushy feel he knew right away what the problem was.He looked inside my master cylinder and it was like lumpy slime. All of the rubber was failing.
New caliper seals and rebuild kit for the master cylinder along with a complete flush of the system cured the problem.
I would not change to Dot 5 in my old car if you paid me to. You are just looking for trouble. Just my opinion though...

Later
Bill Harrison
65 Coronet 2 dr post