carb tuning

I am also confused . What has chnaging gears got to do with carb tuning. The two are totally unrelated. Like changing gears and adjusting headlights.  The engine wants what the engine wants period.  whether with 430 , 513 or 276s. it makes no difference. The motor does not know what gears are in the rear end. However if it is a slant 6 with an afb on an offy 4 bbl manifold. then low speed perfomance will be terrible and perhaps changing the ratio in the bum has made this more obvious. the BEST and abslotuley wonderful way to imprve this set up is to buy a 2 bbl to 4 bbl adapter and remove the 4 bbl plate from the offy manifold. it is bolted on with counter sunk screws then intall the 2 to 4 barrel adapter unside dwn so it becomes a 4 bbl to 2 barrel adapter. Install a Holley 500 cfm two barrel carb and you will have an absolutley wonderful performer and good mileage as well The offy 4 bbl is horrible for fuel distribution with a fourbarrel carb. With the 2 barrel holley it works like dream and power doesnt seem to suffer a bit. Been there done that (1974)
It werked for me.
Don
Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)