Re: 1962 Dodge question

On 32 01/16/07, shuntich@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Group:Hi. I have a 1962 Dodge Polara 500 Convertible. 1962to1965 members
> helped me decode the VIN and fender tag. Thanks again! According to the VIN
> it was the 3102nd car produced for the 1962 model year at the Hamtramck,
> MI plant. It had a scheduled build date of Sept. 7, 1961 according to the
> fender tag. My question is: How many 1962 Polara 500 convertibles were
> built before my car was built? Is there a resource to find out? Also,
> I've read conflicting accounts on the internet as to when the 1962 Dodge
> Polara 500 convertible was introduced. Two sources state that the Polara
> 500 2 door hardtop and convertible were introduced at the same time as
> other 1962 Dodge models with the Polara 500 4-door hardtop introduced
> in December of 1961. One source states that only the Polara 500 2-door
> hardtop was introduced at the same time as the other 1962 Dodge models
> with the Polara 500 convertible and Polara 500 4-door hardtop introduced
> in December of 1961. Anyone able to help?

from the Aug 2002 Collectible Automobile article, written by Jeffrey
Godshell (design team member or engineer, I believe,  at some point
in the 62-64 run)....  "Initially offered in a two-door hardtop and
convertible, the Polara 500 lineup was expanded almost immediately.
'Originally, the Polara 500 was going to be restricted to just two
models," said Nichols in a press release dated November 5, 1961, 'but
customer and dealer dealer interest developed so fast that we decided
to introduce a four door hardtop model'. "  Nichols being Dodge
Division GM Byron J. Nichols.

this was a scramble move to get a premium class four door on Dodge
showroom floors.  Sometime (seen reported as mid-year),  the Custom 880
was released to help with this same problem,, but it was not a luxury
model.

----

http:///u/?..