Re: {Chrysler 300} 66 300 alternator wiring in general

Re: {Chrysler 300} 66 300 alternator wiring in general

hi Drew , your confusion is understandable for a few big reasons. I straightened  out an Imperial that had been frustrating  a friend   for 2 years , it surprised me too ,what I found  as I am EE and car guy
 The single wire  alternators have one wire  of field connected to the case and  grounded by the mounting bolts. Done . No wire  needed.  The mechanical regulator applies 12 v from ignition on to that one F post . Important to know you can sub any two wire  later alternator in same  case  — more common ( i use 78 dodge truck ) by jumping one F to the case . Either one is ok
 The aftermarket Asian electronic replacements for mechanical regulator are junk , especially the one with a red wire hanging out . Imho stay with Standard auto parts mechanical vr    , amp wavering is normal.

Critical  to have that jumper , block to body . I now put it at motor mount ,heavy 6-8” battery cable with eye at  both ends ; some you see stock manifold bolt  to firewall  or a 2 lead battery - wire .

So later cars (still with one wire ) have a black  wire in the harness from alternator frame to VR mount bolt . This is  not needed .   ( not even on the  earlier cars ) but thinking is help  avoid poor ground . Too small a gauge to do anything imho but important   to know about  it as follows :

Some  people  will upgrade to the later two  wire  , done  as above but others will want the modern VR with  it  ; You need the plug too . On that VR the ign feed goes to VR blue , the green VR goes to one F  But the other F now needs 12 v as the new one grounds the field through the green The 12 going into the new one is so it knows the ign voltage  to regulate

If one does go new vr new two wire alternator ( that is reasonable  )  you need a new + 12 wire from vr to alternator ( blue) tied to blue ign at vr ( colors are a specific  car but same idea) . Ideally in a plastic tube for protection tied  to harness  or rewrap harness etc . Live 12 on blue will burn your harness  if grounded = protect it

The plot thickens as on this Imperial someone used the black wire ( was the  ground) as the  new 12 v , to avoid a   new wire . That works — if not quite kosher to a purist .

So later on a good mechanic changed alternator ( correct one , one wire )and  grounded the black wire at alternator like book says, which instantly  burned when he turned on switch.  And damaged main harness .
So he replaced alternator again burned again  .  So he has new VR old alternator and unknown to him  short circuit . He gave up , called me .
Original problem,   no charge — w 2 wire —- was poor connection  on the  changes blue to black wire at VR , just twisted and  taped .

long story  took me 3 hours to figure out .  Back to 2 wire  and used repaired black  as 12 ran perfectly .
back to stock  would have  been  ok too but he now had two , new 2 wire alternators  (3 actually!)
If you do this , use a new  wire….  blue ! or blue and green in its own tubing
John g