RE: {Chrysler 300} 1962 Trans. Installation

RE: {Chrysler 300} 1962 Trans. Installation

Hi Matt

It is scary but can be done, but don’t do what I did during my first engine installation about 40 years ago.

Putting a rebuilt 318/904 in a freshly painted A body, I put a diagonal chain across the intake and had a chain hoist to the garage roof.  Had to tilt it more and more as the engine went in then bang, bang, bang as the hook bounced along the chain links!  The garage roof bounced in sympathy!  We froze for a minute before seeing if there was any damage, but luckily not a scratch.

Then I discovered there were lifting bars with a screw that allowed you to tilt the engine with precision.  They work (and they are cheap on ebay) and that’s how my 392/CITF went in hanging from my garage roof.  Move the car to suit and put a rolling jack under the transmission end and you can guide it in.  I had a hard time making the transmission bolt up to the engine (tight fit?) before installing the whole assembly in the car.  I don’t know how I would have put the two together crawling under the car with no hoist.

I’m sure this isn’t the “best” way to do this but it can be done without drama.  Just make sure you have friends with you who can take orders without getting upset J

Henry