RE: [Chrysler300] Pont-a Mousson 4 speed pictures

I note a typo in my ancient history post.  The ’61 Newport engine was a 361, as was the engine in the ’63.  Eventually moved up to a 383 in a ’67 Plymouth Belvedere II.  Nice red car with adequate power (265 HP) but would run hot in western NE and eastern CO.  Would be ok at 85 MPH without the A/C and only 60 MPH with the A/C on.  Very disappointing cooling system and the car had a trailer-towing package.

Rich B. in Brentwood.

From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of John Grady jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300]
Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2020 3:25 PM
To: c300@xxxxxxx
Cc: Jim Pristelski <ajp002@xxxxxxxxx>; Cox <Scooter465@xxxxxxx>; Chrysler 300 List <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Pont-a Mousson 4 speed pictures

Not too bright to offer a 4 Dr sedan with a poor shifting 3 spd stick as competition to say a 61 Pontiac Ventura coupe .— while Pontiacs are at the bottom of my personal  list, there is no question a 61 Ventura coupe with thin roof, in Titian red, two tone white  and maroon leather   with a 4 spd  421 tri  Power is one beautiful looking ( and small ) car . Much better looking  than a GTO , 8 bolt aluminum wheels too .  I think the first well equipped muscle car . Really . Not a stripped racer .  Or4 Dr sedan . The reason i join in on this is the best night of my life , in 1961, I beat a brand new one with 200 miles on it with my 57 D500 convert . Which had a 300D motor and Packard od; 3:70’s. State Cops got us— but I won! At 18 yo you are beside yourself !!

Not sure it was a truck trans , doubt it- it was a beefed up version of the older57-60  pin drive synchro trans , simply cannot be shifted fast . But much stronger. Pin Syncro second and third , ,crash box first .  Jim Bartuska sent me a lot of factory data  on that trans .

The “ word on the street”in 61 was 413 popped a  T 10 4 spd .— instantly  .421 Pontiac did too, twisted off input shaft gears . Right on edge , but Ventura a lighter car.. That 4 spd trans came from 57 vette 283 .=weak , but a fast shifter, cone synchros . Mopar said no way .. 833 came in ?64 or 65 ? . All we had was that 3 spd, torqueflight faster especially 62.

In 62 I also saw a stick 413 or 426 max wedge 413 “ grandma sedan, “beige color, 62   dart kill a 425 409 with 4:11 who was the record holder at NE drag way. In 12”s . 3:70 dodge gears , all the aluminum and fiberglass stuff,— Chevy blew up at top of third , dodge still in second , a foot ahead , 100 feet from end of quarter . I made money !!  4 mopar and ford guys against 25 chev guys on the bet .

 In max wedge that same 61-62 trans had a long handle taller than dash but it moved  about 2” . If you pulled hard on  it on 1-2 pins broke off fall into gear mesh= boom. Bad trans really .

T10 in a vette you could pull really hard and shift without touching clutch . Really , my friend broke off the lever at pivot  one night .. . But not in a 421  , do that and boom .

Great to be 18—

Sent from my iPhone not by choice