[Chrysler300] 62 413 fuel pump push rod

I was just told that my fuel pump push rod was the reason for a relatively sudden lack of fuel pressure and power.  Pressure was about 2 lb/sqft.  Does anyone know how/why rod would wear down so dramatically.  If cam is bad, is it better just to go with electric pump?
Thanks, Nigel

Sent from my iPad

    Chrysler300-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Chrysler300-fullfeatured@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx