From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John Grady
Sent: Monday, January 06, 2014 11:28 AM
To: 'Greg Leggatt'; 'Tony Rinaldi'
Cc: 'Edward Mills Antique Tractors'; 'Chrysler 300 Club'
Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] New American Classic Tires

Just an observation, by an engineer, and supporting what  someone else pointed out, the twisting moment the wheel puts on the hub (engineering sense) does not change from bias to radials as far as I can understand; and we are not racing, or necessarily using more grip radials might have over and over, say  in an aggressive racing  corner, resulting in more wheel loading .

The only realistic way wheels can “crack” is fatigue, caused by bringing the metal (locally) over a certain stress for a certain number of cycles, certainly many millions,  as load reverses at each turn of wheel , when going around a corner,---- =stress on attachments of disc to rim, especially if welded , or I would expect, disc cracks near bolts .

Welds can leave small sharp gaps at edges, leading to stress risers, and also leave a stressed zone unless heat treated (stress relieved) after welding. So it may be cracks are just due to 300k miles, nothing to do with tires, except most wheels have radials on them now , so it looks that way....as if radials ‘did it”  But observed cracks and real cause are not the tires? Cars run at speed on curvy roads (West Virginia? Pa hills?) would then be expected to crack much sooner than say wheels in Texas flat country.

To counter that means use a thicker material, in general, thus reducing peak stress in the metal , and stress relieving fabricated steel wheels. Do we know thickness of Stockton wheel centers, vs. stock? Relates to 300B running Imperial wheels, too,  in Nascar , which I think had 5” pattern . And mid sixties 15” “police wheels”.

Really good info on keeping 14” hubcaps, Tony. They weld a ring inside 15” rim?

I think I fixed up G hubcaps for 15” shod F to fix that one time long ago. Related to bigger disc brakes.

Recently have been running 16” and 17 “ by 8” JEEP GC style rims, with Michelin Latitude  tires on 5 x 4.5 “ cragar black wheels with trim rings , about same OD as old 15” but much better handling setup. But does not look stock. JEEP wheels do not fit our cars.

I am afraid of anything except Michelins. Just me ; Have had sidewall blowouts, (Firestone) , unseen tread separation, (= severe balance / out of round issues, Cooper) , and 10k mile tire life (Goodyear Eagles) .. Michelin go 50-60 k no problems,  usually need no weights at all.

I have also had a lot of trouble with aluminum wheel after market lug conical nuts with those washer like fittings coming loose ; you really have to torque perfectly and check every few thousand. That almost got me on long trip, two fell off the wheel ; then, suddenly as in 1000 feet wheel started wobbling violently, third one came loose in seconds, last two also loose . Progression is far more rapid than you might think. And you must jack up to re center wheel.

Best,

John Grady