Re: [Chrysler300] Using Dextron 5 in an Aluminum Torqueflight

On 5/15/2012 9:09 PM, Charlie V wrote:

> Several months ago ( December, 2011 ) I read about using AFT+4 Transmission Fluid in the older Chrysler Transmissions and I wrote to the company for a better understanding. The following is my Question to them and after that is their reply which came several months later ( April, 2012 ).

> Consumer Question

> Your Message:

> On your website I read that " ATF+4® is approved for use in older transmissions and is currently utilized in newer Chrysler®, Jeep® and Dodge® vehicles." When you say "Older Transmissions" would that also include the older 727 Torqueflite transmissions. Working on a 1962 Chrysler with the pushbutton 727 transmission and looking to replace the fluid. Back in the day it used " Type A " which is hard to find and asking if ATF+4 will be ok without doing any harm to the transmission. Thanks

> The Reply:
> Dear Mr. Valentine:

> Thank you for your inquiry and patience with our reply.  ATF+4 is the correct fluid to use in your transmission.

> ATF+4® is a unique formulation that has been designed specifically to meet the exacting requirements of Chrysler transmissions.  The fluid has gone through an extensive developmental and testing process, including more than one million miles of severe field testing.  It is a high performance, synthetic fluid that provides significant reduction in component wear, superior temperature performance, consistent shift quality, and exceptional friction modifying properties.

> One important note, due to advances in transmission design, modern transmission fluids, including ATF+4®, contain detergents that are designed to clean seals. If you haven’t already done so, you will most likely need to change your seals as the detergents will clean the build-up that surrounds the old seals and is helping to prevent leakage.

> Thank you for your interest.  I hope this provides you with the information you need.  If you have any questions, please contact me.

> Best regards,
> Chiara

> Chiara Barbier, ATF+4 Project Manager
> Center For Quality Assurance
> 4800 James Savage Road
> Midland, Michigan  48642  USA

Some how in reading the way this was responded to, I don't get any warm
and fuzzy feeling about the level of technical data research done to
answer the original questions.
It seems to not address the friction materials used in the various ages
of parts in the transmissions.  I DO NOT know this for a fact but I
suspect that the frictions materials used in the 50's and 60's isn't the
same as used in the 90's and newer transmissions that ATF+4 was designed
for. AND it sure didn't mention that it was backward compatible to the
older units specifically.

Does anyone know if the currently produced internals that might be used
in rebuilding the older transmissions incorporates newer technology
materials, or materials that have been used back in the 50's and 60's in
the original transmissions?  Me thins that Might be a KEY question for
those knowledgeable enough in the internal parts.

Now to step away from the soap box and disappear into the wings.

--
Paul Holmgren
Mine: 2 57 300-C's in Indy

<*> Your email settings: