Re: [Chrysler300] Using Dextron 5 in an Aluminum Torqueflight

By the way, it's DEXRON not DexTron...

________________________________
 From: Bill Huff <czbill@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Mark Lindahl <mplindahl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2012 5:10 PM
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Using Dextron 5 in an Aluminum Torqueflight

My opinion is the need to find a new transmission
guy.  Not only did he not do what you wanted, but
he has had to go into the transmission a number
of times.  Worth the shipping to move it to a
competent builder who is familiar with not only
the older Torqueflites, but with the 300
specs.  I am sure that Chrysler does not
recommend Dextron at all.  I am not convinced
that even the latest Chrysler ATF-4 has the
proper friction co-efficient for our older
transmissions, no matter what Chrysler says.

http://www.wd-wpp.com/specsheet/atfspec.pdf

Bill Huff

At 5/14/201201:15 PM, Mark Lindahl wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I had my '63 torqueflight rebuilt last year, but it needed to be
>readjusted/rebuilt again since the car moved forward (slight creep) when the
>engine was revved in neutral.
>
>I think they did not pay attention to the gap need in the clutches. When I
>brought the 300 back to them, I asked them to use 'Type F' trans fluid.
>
>Now, it is done and I asked the guy, 'Did you use Type F Trans fluid?'
>
>His response was, 'No, but we used Dextron 5 synthetic fluid and it really
>is a better trans fluid and it should work fine.'
>
>He told me to drive the car and bring it back if I find any issues.
>
>Should I expect to have any short-term or long-term problems?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mark Lindahl
>
>'63 300 Conv.

<*> Your email settings: