Re: [Chrysler300] Using Dextron 5 in an Aluminum Torqueflight

On 5/14/2012 10:10 PM, Mark Lindahl wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Just to clarify, the transmission shop that rebuilt my torqueflight was the same shop that rebuilt it in 1990 for $350 including taking it out and reinstalling it.  In 1990, it ran perfect.  and worked well until 2011.  When I replaced the 383 with the 413, I was convinced to have the trans checked which later turned into a rebuilding project.  It worked fine when the 383 was pulled, but upon inspection there were a few parts that were worn and ready to fail (Sprag Pring Retainer).
>
> The guys in this club that rebuild transmissions probably know every step in the shop manual by heart.  The shops that rebuild a torqueflight once every 3-5 years or so don't know the details.  I gave this guy the shop manual, but no one reads books these days, so I really don't know if it meets the original specs or not.
>
> What I really want to know is will Dextron 5 cause problems to an aluminum torqueflight?
> If you don't know, that's OK.  If you have any facts, please pass them along.
>
> We can debate good mechanics and bad mechanics all day long.  When you have a modern trans rebuilt by a mechanic, do you really know if it is truly rebuilt to stock specs or are you just happy when you put it in DRIVE and it goes down the road?
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Mark Lindahl

give these folks a call, they DO Chrysler Transmissions all the time

Technical Advice:  Available by calling (317) 831-5610 Monday -
Thursday, between the hours of 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM EDT, faxing (317)
831-9710, emailing us at info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx or writing to A&A
Transmission, 5061 E N County Line Road, Camby, IN  46113.

  also (317) 831-3066

--
Paul Holmgren
Mine: 2 57 300-C's in Indy