From: "Bob Jasinski" <rpjasin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Chrysler300] Steering box issue
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 21:46:39 -0700

I am having a fit trying to figure out why my car's steering wheel won't
align properly now that my rebuilt steering box is back in the car. The
box works fine, no noise or leaks, but I had it in the alignment shop today,
and they can align the front end fine, BUT cannot get my steering wheel
straight. Tonight I dropped the steering column again and removed and
reinstalled the steering shaft 180 degrees from where it was in hopes that
now the tie rod end threads won't bottom out before the steering wheel is
straight. I have my doubts that this will work though. I spoke to the
rebuilder and he says "we rebuild them to factory specs", although I will be
calling him again if things don't work out tomorrow.

I've read the service manual to see if there is some internal gear timing
that must be maintained, and if there is, I can't find it in the book. The
pitman arm is splined, but has "keys" every 90 degrees, (and was marked by
the rebuilder with two dots for proper installation alignment) so I can't
just move it a spline or two. Also, the steering wheel cannot be moved at
all because it is splined and keyed in one place, I'm sure this is to keep
the turn signal cancelling cam aligned properly on the steering shaft. My
alignment guy and I are both scratching our heads. Is it possible my tie
rod ends somehow have been made with too short of a thread length cut into
them? Has anybody run into this problem?

Bob J

'61 300G with crooked wheel

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional