[Chrysler300] Whitewall tires

Thanks to all who provided responses and discussion regarding my email which
was originally intended for specific comment on H or J tires, but rapidly
broadened to a discussion regarding whitewalls for all lettercars.

It is obvious this is an important topic for all lettercar owners.  I have
continued to search across other forums on the internet as well for input on
the various tires currently available in whitewalls of any width, wide or
narrow.  In general, I?m drawing the same conclusion as Keith Boonstra and
many in our club did previously.  The American Classics or Coker or other
specialty tires might be great for show, but not if one actually drives the
car at anything over 30mph or so.  Even the guys on the Cadillac forums, who
tend to gravitate towards the ?wider? narrow whitewalls (1.3 inch or more)
in some cases have shelled out a bunch of money for American Classics only
to find out rather quickly that 3 of the 4 tires are out of round, can?t be
balanced well, etc.  Then they wind up shelling out a bunch more dough for
Diamondbacks, but are ultimately very satisfied with the Diamondbacks.

If you want a ¾? whitewall and get a name brand, quality tire there are
still numerous choices.  Anything in a wider whitewall, in any size, seems
to require either a ?cheap? overseas made tire (Champiro or Runway Enduro),
a ?specialty? tire like American Classics or Coker, or Diamondback.

For overall quality, safety, and appearance it would appear that Diamondback
in the best choice and actually more cost effective over the long haul, in
my humble opinion.  Too bad radial tires are only safe for 10 years or so;
it is a high maintenance expense; but our lettercars after all are
?priceless.?

And I will also need a set of P235/75R14 next year for a ?57 NY?er coupe.

300Jly,

Carl Bilter

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional