RE: [Chrysler300] C300 cam

This is a reply George sent me in response to a similar question for my
300C.  I bought the lifters and springs as well.  ISKY was very happy to
deal with me even though I am overseas.  Just ring them direct rather than
buying though a speed shop.

Note that they supply a cam grease for initial firing.  Seemed just like
typical moly grease.  This is the critical time for cam lubrication because
the lobes don't get oil splash for a few minutes which can score them.  Once
there is oil on it, there isn't really an issue regardless of the type of
oil used.  The oil keeps the metal surfaces apart - not the additive.
Since ISKY sell cams for racing where engines are held at 7000 rpm at full
throttle, I don't blame them for recommending racing oil.  However, I think
my 300C is a bit old for that caper.  Normally it is only point loads like
ball bearings that are an issue where extreme pressure additives may be
necessary.  Believe it or not modern engines are still being built with flat
tappet cams and they happily run on thin synthetic oils.  Too many myths
without any facts to back it up.  You'd think people were replacing cams
every time they did an oil change!  If they are, there is probably something
else going wrong.  Note that ISKY are very insistent are using the right
spring to suit the cam.  For what it is worth, for 25 years I've always used
good old Valvoline XLD in my Mopars.  Always still "oily" even after a year.

Cheers

Henry (Mechanical Engineer)

Australia

Hi Henry;  I get NEW cams from Iskenderian. I order grind #888. This is the
same grind I specify for '55 thru '58 300 hemis.  This grind is a little bit
more than the original, since no one can reproduce the original specs.  I
have installed about 70 or so thru the years and everyone is greatly
satisfied. One will get a little bit (10%) more performance than original.
Last time ordering, cost was $180.00 plus shipping.

    George