[Chrysler300] Hemi Rocker Arm Covers

Further research in the parts book indicates the LH side rocker arm covers
were the same from 1957 to engine # 1585 in 1958.  Probably using up the
supply of 1957 covers.  Several other posts indicate the '58's had two
hydraulic (engine) oil return line connections in the LHS cover--from a
heater door!--This in addition to the coil-mount bracket.

Now I wonder if ALL the solid lifter hemi rocker arm covers were modified
plain vanilla New Yorker covers.  A set of dies to punch up the four high
spots/bumps for the short runs of adjustable rocker arm engines may have
been far cheaper than a complete new set of dies.  I recall that Imperial
and industrial hemi's had different stamped lettering on the covers.

For you 413 only guys & gals that may be curious, I just received a good
photo of a '55 rocker arm cover with the bumps and can send you that file,
or maybe post it on our server???

Perhaps now we can debate/clarify whether the oval-headed machine screws
fastening the spark plug wire covers to the rocker arm covers should have
straight slots or Phillips-head.  I've seen some indication there was a
mid-year change.  My early '55 had chrome-plated slotted head screws which I
replaced with very similar SS screws from Ace Hardware (special order).  I
also ordered SS star washers and formed them to fit the tapered screws with
a screw and a female wood die.

Or, not.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber

Rich, the 57 and 58 300 valve covers have a spot welded on coil mount, there
is a small difference between the 57 and 58, one leans more towards the rear
of the cover, placing the coil a little closer to the power brake booster,
the other leans the mount towards the front of the cover giving a little
more space between the coil and the booster.  There is a swap meet vendor
that has started to make (modify) 'bumped' covers, a reasonably decent job
of replicating the factory bumps, BUT NO coil mounts.

--
Paul Holmgren
Mine: 2 57 300-C's in Indy

For list server instructions, go to