[Chrysler300] Hemi Rocker Arm Covers-Dechroming.

[Chrysler300] Hemi Rocker Arm Covers-Dechroming.

Thanks to all who responded on this issue.  I?ve never had anything
de-chromed and assumed the acid/electrolytic stripping process might degrade
the surface of sheet steel.  Apparently the surfaces will not degrade past
the point that normal surface preparation and a good primer coat will not
overcome.  I'd guess that it may be highly dependent on the chrome shop
technician not to return a Swiss-cheesed cover.

By the way, I was looking at the parts book for interchangeability and see
that these special rocker arm covers for solid lifter hemi?s are the same LH
& RH and are interchangeable 1955-58, except for the LH side of ?57 & ?58.
What?s that all about?  Interference with a different power brake booster,
plumbing or some new accessory?  I?ll bet those LH side covers for ?57 &?58
300?s are hard to find.

And, I?ll share the basic knowledge as I have learned it that the difference
between rocker arm covers for hydraulic lifter engines and solid lifter
engines is a small raised section under the spark plug wire covers that
provides needed clearance for the mechanically-adjusted rocker arms.

The parts book also indicated that the ?57 New Yorkers with ?Power Package?
used the same rocker arm covers as the ?57 300?s, suggesting one could get
the 300 engine in any ?57 New Yorker.  As I recall, GM and Ford were
offering their power pack engines (Corvette, T-Bird, J-2, Tri-Power & etc.)
across broad ranges of their more mundane sedans and wagons at that time.

C-300?ly,
Rich Barber
1955 Chrysler C-300