Re: [Chrysler300] dyno

No constant answer - parasitic losses will include alternator, air cond,
power steering, fan, and any other accessories. And it will make a
difference if there is a lot vs minimal electrical draw on alternator
and whether fan clutch is in good shape etc. Then figure efficiency
loses in transmission and rear end. 15% may be ballpark loses, but I
suspect it may be a bit high at the HP range you are at or a bit low on
a 100 HP engine. Back in the 70's when they went to Net HP instead of
previous Gross HP, we did a 240Z which was140 or there abouts Gross
rated HP but in the 80-90 HP range Net on a chassis dyno. You could pick
up about 10% by opening up exhaust and another 4 to 5% by losing Air
Cleaner element, but it was difficult to get over 100 HP with alternator
and fan plus transmission losses. I would kind of guess the losses are
more nearly a constant 40-50 HP rather than a %. but best to run engine
alone on dyno before installing in car if you really want to know.

Dave Schwandt wrote:

> Figure losing 15% in the drivetrain, at least that's what they figure
> on a
> big truck.
>
> That makes it approximatley 490 HP
>
> Dave Schwandt