Re: [Chrysler300] electric window motor removal ?

Ray Jones wrote:

> You are very wrong, largely dependent on if the assy. in in the door
> with the window attached or on the bench.
> The purpose of the large coiled spring is to counter-balance the
> weight of the very heavy window assy.
>
> With it in the door, it's not a big problem, you must watch as you
> remove the motor for the window slamming down and catching you when it
> does. Stick a piece of wood in there, cut to reach from the bottom of
> the door to the bottom of the window so it can't slide down.
>
> If it's out, when you take the last bolt from the motor and pull the
> motor off the assy., that spring will uncoil, swinging the window arm
> violently around in an arc. I know this from personal experience,
> having a dent in my skull/forehead area. I thought my skull was split
> open, but was holding the assy. loosely in my hand and it flew across
> the shop. If it had been in a vise, .....
>
> I've used vise grips, but prefer to drill a hole thru the assy. frame
> and thru the big arm and install a bolt to secure it.
>
> It doesn't matter where the arm is as you re-install the motor, it
> just runs backwards and forwards until the switch is released.
>
> Ray
>
> On Mar 22, 2009, at 10:07 AM, Edward Mills Antique Tractors wrote:
>
> Please correct me if I'm in error - but I had thought primary danger -
> relative to spring energy was taking regulator apart - not removing
> motor - and as I recall it had less energy in one position - but the
> reason for vice grips would presumably be to keep an "up" window from
> falling down due to gravity - or is there stored spring energy there
> too?

Thanks for the response - I was assuming window and regulator were still
in the door - based on other input, does it matter if you pull motor
with window in down position vs up position - it would seem that if
switch controls motor as opposed to a stop, that pulling in down
position would eliminate some of the issues. best, Ed

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)