[Chrysler300] The beat goes on....

I have been reading with considerable amusement the current discussion about Don Petty's 300F (I don't think anybody has said- YET- that its not a 300 F convertible, right?).

Having just come off the hot seat for our little purchase a few months ago, I find it interesting that everytime money is involved somebody gets all bent out of shape.  It appears to me that "caveat emptor" applies to all buyers and sellers as well---do your homework before you put up your money.

I do not believe the club is best served by throwing around words that may later be construed as defamation or just plain meanness.   George and I visited with Don Petty just a week ago (we have a winter home in the Phoenix area), and we looked at the 300F in question along with his other holdings.  It should be remembered that Don collected these cars at a time when most of the current club members either thought the price was too high, or didn't have (or at least wouldn't spend) the money to save them---they were going to the junk yards in record numbers.   He is a VERY honorable, kind, and sharing person and I would like to THANK him for saving all these cars in times when nobody else was willing to pay the price (otherwise he wouldn't have them now, right!).

Since we have again been brought up in a recent posting I would like to clear the air regarding our purchases which were indeed written up in a little story in the current issue of Old Cars Weekly.   The article has some small inaccuracy, but overall is correct in its facts.   We were made aware of the available Iowa collection by a telephone call from friends.  We did not see anything on the club website, and later learned that the initial posting email was actually on the Forward Look, not either of 300 websites.   We were unaware of any involvement from the club, nor did we set the price for these cars.  We simply responded, inquired about the asking price, agreed to pay it, period end of story.   I look at this as the "entry" price of the ticket to get to spend about $200,000 more (which we are currently doing) on the main event!

Now as to Don Petty's selling his car (whatever you might think it is) for $1,000.000.   Good!   If foolish people pay $4,000,000 for a damn GM bus, then why not?   Oh, when we visited him he did not mention to me that he has any interest in selling ANYTHING, so there you go.    As for us, we have decided to sell our few dozen fin wonders----we will offer them to club members first at only $1,000,000 each---your pick--not including shipping.    bob

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)