[Chrysler300] Re: 1960 Tire Info

Edward Mills Antique Tractors wrote:

As per request, here is the data from 1960 BFG Engineering Data Book on
8.00-15. The Deluxe Silvertown would be Standard Equipment for most -
maybe all applications except Police which would be the Silvertown 125
(supposedly 125 mph). I would guess the Silvertown 125 would be more
nearly representative of a Goodyear Bluestreak - slightly lower profile
- though there were no real standards at that time. Some non-OE
manufacturers tended to be smaller diameter - enough so that you would
recap some of them in next lower size mold.

Still I would think the big 5 that made OE tires for the various makes -
Goodyear, B.F.Goodrich, Firestone, General, and U.S.Royal (Uniroyal now)
would have been more nearly the same dimensions.

The Lifesaver Silvertown was the premium self sealing tire most
comparable to a General Dual 90, the U.S.Royal Master, and the Firestone
Supreme as I recall. And as I recall you never wanted to put a tube in
one of those - it stuck to sealing liner and you never got it out. I
don't recall Goodyear having a self sealing tire - but at some time they
came out with a dual chamber tire with a second valve like a basketball
in the sidewall if I remember right.

Again dimensions at 24 psi. And I'll throw in 8.20-15 data too as they
may be easier to find - lots more Caddies that cars that used 8.00-15.

Deluxe Silvertown: 8.00-15  Diameter 29.26 in; Section Width 8.00 on 6.0
rim, 8.20 on 6.5 rim; Tread Width 4.75 in; Static Loaded Radius 13.53;
Max Load 1335 pounds

Silvertown 125: 8.00-15  Diameter 29.04 in; Section Width 8.50 on 6.0
rim, 8.70 on 6.5 rim; Tread Width 4.88 in; Static Loaded Radius 13.45;
Max Load 1355 pounds (may be a typo on load as other sizes same as
Deluxe Silvertown)

Lifesaver Silvertown 8.00-15  Diameter 29.26 in; Section Width 8.00 on
6.0 rim, 8.20 on 6.5 rim; Tread Width 5.19 in; Static Loaded Radius
13.53; Max Load 1335 pounds

Deluxe Silvertown: 8.20-15  Diameter 29.70 in; Section Width 8.20 on 6.0
rim, 8.40 on 6.5 rim; Tread Width 4.95 in; Static Loaded Radius 13.70;
Max Load 1415 pounds

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: