Re: [Chrysler300] 300L clock

Thanks for the information about my clock.  Aside from dreaming of
swimming in Wisconsin in May, I spent the day hanging sheet rock with
a friend on his kitchen ceiling--with much of the kitchen in place.
That led to some fatigue and a swirl in whirlpool.  I did pick the
clock up to study it when I read your emails, but this 65 year old is
headed for the prone or horizontal--whichever comes first.
But let me see if I've got it:
To clean it, I slather it gently in rubbing alcohol?  And then take a
little can of canned air and blow it dry, gently?
Then just the tiniest amount of 3-1 oil on the gear trains?  Clean
the "points" on the winder mechanism with the tiniest file?

I know that the electrics work--there is a jolt when "points" join,
and they blow the winder open.  I even know about how far.
So the issue is to get the fly wheel propelling and working the rest
of the mechanism?
I gather all this from what you all have written, for which I am
grateful--and typing fast before I go to s l eeeeeeee        p.

If there are refinements or corrections please let me know, and I
will check them.  In the mean time, I will dream about swimming in
the Eagle River--Carlton says it will be okay!!!!--at the meet in May
in Wisconsin.

300L ly,

Doug
On Jan 31, 2008, at 6:57 PM, Ray Jones wrote:

> Ryan, Rich and all;
> There's little draw as the clock is mechanical, and is wound
> electrically. You can't "wind"it up. It runs 2 minutes and then
> takes a little 12 volt jolt to rewind as in my original email.
> This, also, is from memories from the 70's when I bought my
> "L"(34-5 years ago). I sent mine to something Hill Clock in New
> England as I recall. It came back and ran for many years after
> that. I've fixed several others since then, as I described.
>
> To regulate it, you have to determine how much it gains or loses
> and then adjust it. If it loses you turn the hands ahead 24 hours
> (I think) for each minute it loses per day. If it gains, you turn
> it back 24 hours. My shop manual has no info on how to regulate it,
> other than to  pull out on the knob and adjust one way or the
> other, and that seemed to be how to set it.
>
> As to making it digital, if you're gonna have the radio changed to
> hi-tech, see if they do clocks also and send it along.
>
> Ray
>

> On Jan 31, 2008, at 4:36 PM, Ryan Hill wrote:
>
>  It's been a few years since I aquainted myself with the inner
> workings of the clocks in my '65 300's so my memmories are
> foggy......even for a 37 year old. I remember concluding after
> inspection that both clocks had shorted out basically from day one.
> It appeared to me (with limited knowledge) that a power wire which
> I remember being bare copper had touched the body of the clock and
> shorted out. I have yet to see one of these clocks actually working
> and figured it was a design flaw. I recall being able to wind it
> myself and it ran nicely until requiring a rewind.
>
>  What could I have been looking at? Now I want to pull mine out and
> have a look to see if I can easily fix it? How do you calibrate them?
>
> Ryan Hill
>  '65 300 2dr/ht

Doug Mayer
mobydoug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx