From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Ryan Hill
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2008 2:37 PM
To: Rich Barber; 'Ray Jones'; mobydoug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: 'Ray Jones'; 'Chrysler300club Broadcast'
Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] 300L clock

It's been a few years since I aquainted myself with the inner workings of
the clocks in my '65 300's so my memmories are foggy......even for a 37 year
old. I remember concluding after inspection that both clocks had shorted out
basically from day one. It appeared to me (with limited knowledge) that a
power wire which I remember being bare copper had touched the body of the
clock and shorted out. I have yet to see one of these clocks actually
working and figured it was a design flaw. I recall being able to wind it
myself and it ran nicely until requiring a rewind.

What could I have been looking at? Now I want to pull mine out and have a
look to see if I can easily fix it? How do you calibrate them? Ryan Hill
'65 300 2dr/ht
'68 Dodge Charger

To: hurst300@xxxxxxxxxxx; mobydoug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
hurst300@xxxxxxxxxxxx; Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: c300@xxxxxxxxxxx:
Thu, 31 Jan 2008 14:02:00 -0800Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] 300L clock

I had some clock oil for our grandfather clock and used it to free up
theaxles and pivot points on the clock from our '55 C-300. Any very light
oilshould work. Then I connected the clock to a 6-Volt lantern battery for
acouple of days to calibrate it. You would need a 12-Volt source, of
course.I also cleaned the contact points, but the clockworks were stuck due
toyears in storage. I used Q-tips and rubbing alcohol to clean the
clockbearings of old lube and dirt first. It took a little coaxing to get
thebalance spring to start oscillating--be very gentle with it.Some folks
seemed to think the clock is a big drain on a battery. Idisagree, based on
monitoring my lantern battery with a DVM over time. Nomeasurable
drop.C-300'ly,Rich Barber1955 Chrysler C-300-----Original Message-----From:
Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] OnBehalf Of
Ray JonesSent: Thursday, January 31, 2008 1:31 PMCc: Ray Jones;
Chrysler300club BroadcastSubject: Re: [Chrysler300] 300L clockHi Doug;Here's
how it works:There is a solenoid motor which "winds" the clock. It clicks,
which is the solenoid pulling the arm up, and then the spring makes it
"tick-tock" down to the bottom to be rewound.With it open, you should be
able to follow this.Two things mainly keep it from working;The contacts at
the bottom which apply the volts are corroded,and/or the slide is sticky and
needs light lube on it.Installed, what you'll hear is the click when it
reloads and probably not the winding down. This takes about 2 minutes to
cycle.Ray"It's the fellowship that makes it a special event."Nifty neat
stuff gonna be ahappening at the Spring Meet...Y'all gotta come and play
with us! RayOn Jan 31, 2008, at 3:12 PM, Doug Mayer wrote:I have removed the
clock from my 300L. Seemed a good thing to do inthe Maine mid-winter. After
all, spring is coming, and we will beable to swim in the Eagle River in
Wisconsin then, according to ourhost. Back to the clock. It doesn't work.
But when connected tothe battery the little points that throw the fly wheel
(or whateverthey do) work once. So the little motor knows what to do with
DCvolts, I think.All the parts and pieces seem to be present. So what do I
do toclean and oil the thing. What are the steps and what can I expect asI
move through them. I know that this topic was on the server sometime ago, so
I am hopeful that the clock fixers can respond.Thanks.300L ly,DougDoug
Mayermobydoug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[Non-text portions of this message have been
removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed]To send a
message to this group, send an email to:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx list
server instructions, go
tohttp://www.chrysler300club.com/yahoolist/inst.htmFor archives go to

For list server instructions, go to