SV: [Chrysler300] Gentlemen, start your engines (if you can)

SV: [Chrysler300] Gentlemen, start your engines (if you can)

I myself used  welding equipment cables about 1/2" thick and with a myriad
of treads inside (they come in both red and black) and soldered the ends
shut to avoid moisture creeping in (trick from the boating fraternity). As
Rich points out, it is a common problem with (modern?) fuel vaporizing in
the carbs, so a on/off electric fuel pump could be handy to fill the glass
bowls and carbs before starting. Otherwise, keeping everything in good shape
always help.

The starting problem with 6V Hemi is not something new. I strongly believe
that it was commented upon in the early 80s that owners of 55s was reluctant
to shut off their idling NewYorkers and C-300s for any short stops.

On the other hand, this akward starting can also be used as a fund raiser:
With your hot 6V Hemi cranking so slow that compared to a modern car it is
like next to the last sigh from the starter you can take bets from everyone
around, asking: "How much would you bet on this car will not start without
opening the hood or anything else more radical?" My car always has started
(eventually) and a good large 6V battery will crank the Hemi for at least
3 -5 minutes although slowly. After gaining confidence in this, I once won
enough cash from my 12V co-travellers to get a free tank of gas afterwards.

Narve
C-300 in Norway