Re: [Chrysler300] 300F problems Pertronix

Re: [Chrysler300] 300F problems Pertronix

I failed to mention to my earlier post that with the Pertronix, I run the standard Mopar coil, ballast resistor and Champion RJ12 plugs. The car has idled repeatedly for extended periods of time and I have accidentally "buzzed" the motor a couple of times with no break-up in the ignition. I have never experienced a problem.

Now that I think about it, I stopped popping freeze plugs around the time I switched to the Pertronix. WOW, those things are good!

Richard

>>> "Richard Osborne" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 03/16/07 6:44 am >>>
John,

I think something else is the issue here. There is NO dwell setting with the Pertronix upgrade. It is the absolute  definition of plug and play. I added this to the white G last year. I had accidentally pulled some of the wires loose from the points while attempting a re- detail of the distributor. Rather than screw with setting the points back up, I called John Lazenby and ordered the Pertronix.

The hardest part of the install was finding a good non- obvious power source. I suspect this is where the problem at hand lies. I no longer have the instructions, but it is very specific the power requirements. I spliced in around the ballast resistor, I'd have to look at which side, I can't remember right now.

Once I had it installed, I was amazed as my car was no longer a turd, it performed great! The car had always run o.k., it just never had any balls. I feel it now has the power it should have had all along now. I do not mean to imply that this improvement is strictly because of the Pertronix (I think something was set incorrectly with the points), but I am very happy with it and have no interest in switching back to points as I plan  to continue driving it a lot.

Best regards,

Richard Osborne

>>> "John J. Hertog" <crossram@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 03/15/07 11:07 pm >>>
Hi Victor,

Welcome to the Club and to the listserver.  For the rest of the group,
Victor owns a 300F hardtop restored by Tom Cox and then owned for a bit by
Thomas Powers.   Very nice black hardtop.  Now on to your question -   and a
good question it is!   I noticed the same dwell readings (I kind of tend to
remember a lower number, though -   like 18 degrees) when I installed a
Pertronix on one or two of my 413 ram cars. And all I can say is that the
car(s) never ran quite right with Pertronix.  I ended up removing them,
reinstalling the factory dual points, and everything was much better again.
Also, what brand and model plug are you using? Comments, anyone?

Vic, you may want to talk to Don Verity, at d.verity@xxxxxxx  ; he's got a
Sun distributor machine all set up and could fix up your distributor to
spec. and bench-  test it ...

Original tires were 9.00-   14 Goodyear BlueStreak w. 2 1/2" whitewalls

John Hertog
Sag Harbor NY