[Chrysler300] BJ Auction view from afar

1) plenty of possible future truth in some people may get burnt re high
prices paid for some collector cars if a shake comes soon, and these things
seem to go in 'up cycles', followed by ' hey why have prices collapsed so
badly?!', and this phase can last 4- 7 years - however if the people/(we) ,
are buying them for 'whatever they give us', if the future price goes to the
crapper, does that destroy the car for them/us?!  For those just buying them
to make money, well they can perhaps cry in their future beers alone !!?

2) Without studying all the prices in great detail yet, it seems perhaps the
true worthwhile cars are the ones that hold up better?
OK $5million US for a Cobra is a hell of a lot of money, but the car if it
the original, ie is actually Shelby's own original supercharged 427 - one of
one as Bill Cosby's 2nd only ever other one met with a rather sad history?,
and besides, Shelby was 'the man', the big man, that nothing against Cosby.
If there is a true iconic US 60s 'king of the heap Musclecar baddest bad
arse mother f**********' then it has to be Shelby's own personal blown 427
Cobra - no L88 Vette, or hemi, or anything I believe comes close - as to the
$5mill bids - out of my league, but hey if you/ve got $$$$$$$$squillions,
this is just peanuts for a true piece of US 60s history that may never be up
for sale soon ??!
(My only query is I sort of thought Shelby's car also met with a funny
end/history, yet it now seems maybe not ??)

3) that black '59 DeSoto Adventurer, with it's gold, looked bloody great - I
think it was better value, car to own/buy, than the dearer red one?  And re
other Mopar stuff, if 2 bids/wins of $1.1 million for each of the 54
(Exner?) show cars, were legit, what is the US view of these prices? And re
our 300s - OK no $200Kplus prices for Fs and Gs converts, but then that
black and green Gs of earlier years were real knockouts??  And maybe this
year no true equivalents ?  And if later 60s hemi cars are not still
skyrocketing, maybe that is because they are maybe not as special as our
earlier 300s - I know the few Coronets and Chargers late 60s I have driven
and worked on often seem fairly characterless - maybe use-wise well built,
but not masterpieces ?!! GM musclecar products like same year Chevelles (and
yes even good humble El Caminos?!!) seem way more fun/nicer to drive  !!? So
maybe there are still user/drivers amongst BJ buyers, and they are sorting
the ones the like to drive better?

My dad was a pretty good judge of cars, and generally the ones he liked,
were the ones that were nicer to drive, had good performance, and had
character, personality.  And that seems a pretty good thought to me - if it
looks nice, was well made, has nice steering/controls, and 'gets up and goes
a bit' when you stick your foot into it, then you shouldn't go too far
wrong.
If they/300s end up worth nothing, then we all can own more - but I don't
think there is much long term chance of that being the long term
trend/future.  And the other thing BJ shows/showed - the ones that pull the
higher prices - it is not how the car was built/made, rather it's history -
look up the Kurtiss 500 sale price - my guess because of it's long history
with racer Mickey Thompson?  And the big dollar Boss 429 Mustang - was one
of the early race type ones. And a bloody (common as?! once?! /still ) 57
Chev Convertible I think made over $200k - because it supposed to be best in
the world condition wise. But that is a heck of a price/premium for a 57
Chev?

Final thought - BJ may be 'rogues', play tricks, whatever - but they have
been 'king of the heap' for now near 3 decades - 30+ years.  OK some are
going to get burnt, but hey, how many play the pokies, smoke 20+ cigarettes
a day, or many other things we know are bad for us/them. No one has to
support them, give them cars to sell, whatever ??! Can't say I would like to
give them a car of mine though.

Enough from the aussie - shoot me down, tell me to shut up, or whatever,

Christopher

ps nothing is worth what it is today, but then is that going to change
quickly, never mind whinging about car prices/values?! - I think not.

Advertisement: 50% off on Xbox 360, PS and Nintendo Wii titles!
http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-4lab-71-bn-49-en-84-k-40-extended.html

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional