[Chrysler300] strange starting disorders

[Chrysler300] strange starting disorders

I may have asked this in the past, but if I did, I never got a magic answer (maybe there isn't one).

My 61 G has a strange starting problem (although it always starts!)

When I turn the key to the start position, the motor begins cranking as it should, but if I turn the key back to ON or OFF or ACC before the engine starts, it will just keep cranking!!

There have been a couple of rare times when there was no gas in the carbs or the choke was stuck open and the car wouldn't start that the battery would be in danger of wearing down, and I'd have to jump out of the car (engine still cranking by itself), and pull one of the cables off the battery to make it stop.

I can immediately return the cable to the battery, and the cranking does not begin again until I go back into the car and turn the key to START again.

When the car does start (if I haven't let it sit too long or forgotten to lube the choke), there is never any run-on of the starter motor.  It simply disengages the way a normal starter motor should.

This is not an intermittent problem.  It is always this way.  I just need to turn the key to start for a second, and I can release the key to the ON position, and the car will keep cranking until it starts and then the starter motor stops as normal.

Any time I want I can turn the key to START, and then turn the key back to OFF and remove it, but the starter motor will remain cranking.

It's a very simple circuit, so what gives?

I've rebuilt the starter motor and Solenoid and replaced the starter relay with no change in behavior.

The only thing I haven't done is change the ignition switch in the dash, but I thought that if it was the problem, it would try and make the starter continue to grind after the motor started, or the starter motor would begin to crank again after putting the battery cable back on the battery.

It is very interesting to be able to turn the key to START, get out of the car and watch the engine fire up while standing next to the car and not having to hold the key!  It's just not normal.

Any suggestions?

John

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings: