Re: [Chrysler300] Bit of a problem with an air conditioning system on a

Re: [Chrysler300] Bit of a problem with an air conditioning system on a 59E!!!

> Sounds like the expansion valve.  They are usually the first thing to
> cause problems.   Was the system sucked down to get all the moisture
> out?   The expansion valve can get clogged up very easy with just a
> small drop of moisture that will turn to ice and plug up the jet in the
> valve or even a very small piece of dirt.
>
>      Gary Barker
>
> Chrysler300E@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >Hi All (and a Happy Holiday to Everyone) Out  There in 300 Land!
> >
> >Had a compressor rebuilt, clutch is fine,  replaced the EPR valve, had
the
> >system charged however:
> >

> >(1) on the low side it gets cold - can see the  condensation;
> >(2) on the high side, the pressure is only  about 125 (not good, I know -
> >should be about 200);
> >(3) air coming out the vents is not that cold  - maybe 65 - 70 degrees;
and
> >(4) eyeglass appears  cloudy.
> >

> >I figure there is a minor problem somewhere in  the system, but not sure
> >where.  Any help here?
> >
> >Tom
> >Miami, Florida

The high side pressure you note is not a cause for concern at this point.
What is of concern is the duct temperature.

Low heat exchange rate will keep high side down. Damper doors directing air
in AC unit correctly?

Non condensibles in the R12 will cut cooling efficiency, leave bubbles in
the sight glass but usually jump the high side pressure up also.

Low side pressures before and after the EPR could be the key to help
identify a bad EPR valve, low pumping compressor, sticky expansion valve or
throttled down system (low demand).

Chrysler manual has excellent procedure for  testing the expansion valve.

If you want to see if your compressor will pump at 200 psi, block off half
the condenser. Keep a wary eye on engine temp and AC high side pressure and
give it back it's cooling air flow if things go way high.

Warren Anderson
Sedona,AZ
Too cold here for AC