RE: [Chrysler300] chrysler 300 people:our shrinking demographic

RE: [Chrysler300] chrysler 300 people:our shrinking demographic

Lee,

I've waited several days to weigh in on your email because at first I
thought it would be best not to respond, but after returning from my
business trip I still feel the need. At the onset, I have to say that I feel
you are being unfair toward the membership of the Chrysler 300 Club
International, and your comments are self centered, not accurate, and you
are using sweeping generalizations when you speak about Club members. I am
52 now and bought and my G convert when I was 24.  I too, love Mopars, from
A to E body, but prefer fin cars, and am a "baby boomer" also.

<"All of these shows I attend, the muscle car thing is the main deal. Kinda
easy to understand really, probably the largest group of car enthusiasts
ever">

That's true of the cars as well...many, many muscle cars were built, tens of
thousands of Barracudas, Challengers and others were built.  They were then
and are now, "youth market cars".  That was the demographic the
manufacturers were going after, and they were very successful at realizing
their goal, that's why they continue to be popular.

The 300 letter cars '55-'65 were built in very small quantities, expensive
when new, and focused on capturing the buyer that was well to do, older,
more mature, like a business owner, doctor, lawyer, professional, i.e.; the
300's are/were called "bankers hot rods" for a reason. "A rare kind of car
for a rare kind of man"  that's the slogan on the 300G brochure.

<"I know some of you are saying that 300 letter cars are rare, that is why
you don't see them anywhere. Let me tell you that's crap. In the mopar
world letter cars are common. I restored a challenger convert a few
years ago, dodge made 31 of them with its option package. I drove it in
the rain to shows. This year in Vegas at the Mopars at the strip show
there were 4 Real 70 hemi challenger converts, 5 real 71 hemicuda
converts and a 70 hemicuda convert under one tent. Only 9 of the
challengers were produced and 11 cudas">

Sorry, but you are the one full of crap here.  Are you aware there were
55,499 Barracudas built in 1970 alone?  You are comparing apples with
oranges.  If you were to make a valid comparison, you should point out how
many 300Fs were built with a 4 speeds (14), Wayne Graefen's F Coupe Special
(1 of 1) with the 405 HP motor and A/C, early 300s that had Torqueflites vs.
Powerflites vs. 3 speed sticks, how many were built in 888 or 999 trim
codes...very few, or how many came with factory air and premium radios?  So
lets be honest here, 300 Letters were all very low production cars, coupes
and converts.  Do you realize that when the 300M came out, Chrysler had
produced more 1999 300Ms by midyear 1999, than all of the Lettercars total
built from 1955 to 1965?

You need to understand something here.  The Chrysler 300 Club
International's mission is dedicated to "preservation, restoration, and
enjoyment of the Chrysler 300 Letter Series automobiles".  Modifying a 300C
in the extreme manner in which the subject car was modified is not
consistent with the Club's goals.  That doesn't mean the owner can't do what
he wants with his car, just don't accuse 300 Club International members of
being out of touch or not impressed with this person's creation.  It is
similar to someone saying, "Van Gough didn't put enough stars in the
painting "Starry Night", I'm going to add some and make a few other changes
while I'm at it".  I like the way Virgil Exner designed these cars, I don't
care to see his designs modified or "improved" to reflect someone's idea of
style.

OK, I realize it is frustrating when you'd like to have your 300 a different
color than what the factory painted it, or you want some modern tires and a
decent stereo.  Fine, do it, but,  keep it low key, so as not to detract
from the factory look (don't think you won't get points off in concours
judging though).  But 20" wheels??? Sorry, not my cup of tea.

<"So get out and drive these cars to some
shows! Go dragracing! Try to be a little friendlier to younger people">.

Sorry to disappoint you, but you will never see me drag race or do a burnout
with my G.  Let the gear heads satisfy their need for speed with someone
else's car.  If I wanted to do that, I would ride with my nephew in his
highly modified '67 Belvedere.  I have received many phone calls over the
years from younger than me 300 enthusiasts, and have always extended a
helping hand to them in their search for help restoring their 300 Lettercar,
but when it comes to significant modifications, they're on their own.

Young or old, those who seek out the uniqueness of the 300 Lettercars will
be rewarded with the car as it was originally designed, I know I've had a
passion for it for the last 25 years.  I'm not looking to win a popularity
contest with my 300 to reflect the latest fad, whether it be fender skirts,
coon tails, racing stripes or 22" wagon wheels.  I am a proud member of the
Chrysler 300 Club International, and am dedicated to "preservation,
restoration, and enjoyment of the Chrysler 300 Letter Series automobiles"
and future generations will thank me for it.

Bob J
Danville, CA

Yahoo! Groups Links