Steering Wheel Restoration - reply

Hi Ken,

Since you mention interest in a 1961 Chrysler 300 steering wheel - you
really want to talk to Mike Burke, (MI) re: clear steering wheel
restoration. (see his contact info in the roster, or his ads in Club News
under "parts of sale" )

Mike is working with a Swedish connection as far as having the clear wheels
restored in Sweden. He did round up a few of them and has some in the works
now. His plan is to be able to sell them on an exchange basis - you send him
your core, you get a restored wheel back.

I do not want to spread disinformation, but I do believe that the projected
cost was in the $700.00 range for such a restored wheel, versus somewhere
around $1200.00 or more for a wheel restored by Dennis Crooks of Quality
Restorations in CA www.qualityrestorations.com

The problem with Studebaker wheels, and other similar restored wheels, is
that they are not clear wheels - therefore a lot easier to reproduce or
recast.

Meantime, Mr. Crooks does a wonderful job, albeit at a relatively expensive
price.

The restoration process is quite complex - in that the wheel must first be
stripped of all plastic; then the outer rim must be re-chromed ; then, it
must be recast in plastic, either solid tan or grey (depending on year);
and the clear portions also recast. Complicating the process is the fact
that our steering wheels are far from being round in shape.

John Hertog
Sag Harbor NY