Re: [Chrysler300] One good turn deserves another!!

Re: [Chrysler300] One good turn deserves another!!

->
>"And for a bunch of years, and I don't know exactly how many, Chrysler, on
>the driver's side of the car, made the wheel nuts left-hand thread, the
idea
>being as you went down the road the wheel nuts would tighten themselves up
as
>opposed to loosening themselves up. So, as your wheel turned, the nut would
>be turning in the same direction that it would turn to tighten it, and
>there'd be no risk of having the wheel nuts fly off."
My first encounter with LH nuts was on a 1957 Cadillac. Some GM, Ford trucks
and IH trucks have used LH threads. Trucks above the one ton level with dual
rear wheels use Budd nuts; have for years. Budd nuts are two piece affairs
and are always LH threaded on the left side of the vehicle. There is a
(metric sized) different design wheel nut design in use on class 6 and up
trucks that saves weight. The rear dual wheels are piloted off the hub (not
the tapered lug nuts like your car) and the threads are RH both sides. This
flies in the face of tradition for who knows what reason. Could be cost as
there is only one nut used on each stud for rear wheels. One part no. nut
fits the whole truck with hub piloted wheels.

Warren Anderson
Sedona,AZ