Fw: [Chrysler300] Re: Balancing Act

In the past and hopefully still, tires were marked at their heavy spot by
the manufacturers.  The heavy spot was marked near the bead with a white,
red, blue, etc. self sticking paper dot about 3/8 inch in diameter.  If
memory still serves, the dot was intender to be aligned with the valve
stem.  It could just as easily be aligned opposite of the wheel's heavy
spot.  Hope this helps.

Minnesota Marshall
Red G,  27 & 28 Dodge Brothers, 14 unmentionables-many for sale.

The wheel/tire balancing and tube vs. tubeless thread has been amazing
and informative. Thanks to all that contributed.

I understand and appreciate the concept of a wheel and tire each having
their own imbalance and
I recall previous guidance to locate the heaviest portions of the wheel
and tire separately,
then place them opposite to each other before starting the balancing
process.

Sounds reasonable and I suppose there are several ways to find the
heaviest point on the rim.

My question is:  how does one find the heaviest point on an unmounted
tire?  Obviously, if the tire has
been poorly designed or fabricated with excessive overlap of plies and
tread, balancing will be difficult and
require more weights.  Ultimately, a buyer would select their tires from
a rack full of candidates based on
roundness and inherent imbalance.

Give the gift of life to a sick child.