Re: {Chrysler 300} Ballast resistors

Hi Danny
agree , they are made of an alloy of iron ,
FYI the purpose is that when idling , especially with electronic(  first )— there is no significant off time as solid state ignition correctly turns coil on asap after a spark and so average current can run up way high and burn out the coil at idle . Spark takes about 800 u sec , 0 .8 thousandths of a second . Why chrome box/ max wedge drag ignition had warning “ Limit idle to 30 min max”

But many do not realize that electronic ignition is on all the time — if no trigger comes ( key on , engine not running ) that gets the iron ballast wire  red hot , which causes it to increase a lot  in ohms , protecting the coil and transistor  . If you short out ballast in some  misguided fairy story you WILL blow the ECU switch  transistor , or melt coil insides or both . And gain zero .

With points you have a minor random chance they are sitting open  , ign on, but more important to understanding all this , the dwell ( on time) and the open time , are a fixed percentage of time (each ) -with points-  so the average  on time ,,( and  thus heat in coil ) is the same %  number vs rpm unlike ecu ignition which draws a little less  as rpm goes up but more than points at idle . ( it is making spark more of the  time at rpm than just sitting or waiting ) — why points are a less severe duty on ballast R compared to ECU — also why an  ecu has more time to charge  up coil at  hi rpm , too . Takes about .003 sec , to full energy , (compare that to .8 msec making the spark ) you don’t  have .003 on 8 cyl between sparks after maybe 4500 . At least in theory ECU control is good for maybe 1000-1500 rpm more than with points ,  because of that  — the time the points are needlessly open after the  spark happens kills you  . OK in grandmas car. . And why mopar dual points helps that , about the same 1000 - 1500 rpm gain  is there by more dwell time ( coil on time), equals hotter spark  . second set closes early if set right , quite critical . Need dwell meter …

BUT if points are randomly closed and you have left ign on , not running , iron wire gets red hot in a second , oxidizes fast etc . A Thin rusty place or end attachment burns clear . So burn outs may not all be random … ign on not running is bad news for the older ballast R . But it took 65 years to rust out .. laugh
Still ballast R it is an excellent EE design imho . It tracks between the described end points too .

FYI HEI  controls on time before the spark to deal with this ,by looking at rpm .  It lowers time on % when at low speed , that  controls  the current to protect itself and coil , but complicated chip inside , all analog . Why no ballast is needed —-
It is pretty good too , slightly more current is allowed , probably exchanging orange box for the right 4 pin HEI yields an rpm gain . Right external coil for  that is E core out of 90’s chev trucks ,
Polarity of pickup coil is critical .

I have been looking on and off at correctly driving HEI ( or orange box ) off points , it cannot be done right with resistors despite clueless GM / Chevy  web sites , as the ignition  signal from reluctor is a bipolar pulse ( + and -) — resistors can’t make + into - . More to it than that , too long for here …

I do like ballast R , stock setup is great , buy a good one , Standard auto parts , not T series ( low end line ) T series ( China) generally ok but this is so cheap anyway why compromise ? And try not to leave ignition on not running . If you need that , pull off coil feed wire at ballast .

I promised Bob a big write up about my recent intermittent pain in ignition — in general , coming  shortly . At least ballast usually goes south 100% . It is the intermittent stuff that kills you

When cold , ballast is very low ohms does not reduce ignition output to any real degree .
See fairy story !

It is a long EE story , as to why that   seemingly obvious intuitive result is not right … It starts with coil
inherent time constant L/R , — hint: note R is on the bottom , so more R …,

jg