Re: [Chrysler300] 1957 Explained

>> If you were alive in 1957, and old enough to enjoy Rock and Roll, you
>> will
>> probably remember the group, "The Diamonds" who had just launched their
>> super hit "Little Darlin' ". For you that are too young to remember - it
>> was
>> a time when the performers were happy, enjoying themselves, respecting
>> their
>> fans, dressed appropriately and their lyrics could be understood. They
>> did
>> not feel obligated to scream, eat the microphone, mumble inaudible lyrics
>> or
>> trash the set.

It's all too easy to romanticize about how wonderful things were back in the
'good ole days'. The facts paint a slightly different picture :

--Artists rarely got the royalties they deserved for the music they
recorded.

--When on tour, many times they had to play a long string of one night
stands, often traveling from one gig to another by bus. This may have
contributed to the death of Buddy Holly, etc., since they had to fly to
their next gig in adverse weather conditions.

--Black artists were routinely discriminated against, often being barred
from staying in the same hotels as their White counterparts.

--In the early days of Rock 'n' Roll, radio stations wouldn't play Black
artists on the air. In order to get a song played, the song would have to be
'covered' by a White artist.

>> FYI - The lead singer of the Diamonds is also the father of Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks' father was a cook. Google it.

>>They did
>> not feel obligated to scream, eat the microphone, mumble inaudible lyrics
>> or
>> trash the set.

It's all too easy to paint with a broad brush. All artists are different.
They have their unique style, which should be respected.

Just FYI: I love 50s Rock 'n' Roll.

Just FYI: This discussion has nothing to do with Chrysler 300s. So we should
wind it down quickly.

Ron

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional