[Chrysler300] A Grand Lady

Last night about 8:15 our time just as Christie and I arrived home our phone rang.  Christie took the call as I was in the garage putting up a car.  She appeared at the door and says "It's George III, Eleanor died".  Although we both knew this was coming I went numb.  George III (George & Eleanor's son) spoke for a few minutes and I could feel the pain he was experiencing.

Not ten minutes after that conversation ended our phone rang again and this time it was George.  He started his conversation as usual by saying, "Hi John this is George".  I could hear the loss in his voice.  Before he got to the news I informed him that George III had just phoned.

We talked for a period and he told me the details of what had occurred yesterday, but I won't go into that.  Michael and Linda Burke had been there and just left for home.  They had encouraged George to come to their home for the evening or they would stay with him.  George being George said no I'll be okay.

Christie spoke with him a few minutes and then we said our goodbyes with a rather empty feeling.  We then phoned Michael and Linda to verify that George was doing okay and were assured that he was.  I spent most of the night awake thinking about the past with these two.

Some 20 years ago when I became involved with this club Eleanor was my first contact via mail, then at the California first meet she was the first person we actually met.  Immediately she made us feel part of the group and welcomed.  From that time to now our friendship with these two has continued to grow.

For those of you who have never actually met George or Eleanor in person you've missed something.  These two people have poured their lives into our club and given far beyond what anyone would be expected to do.  Sure sometimes there have been issues as part of the process of doing what they do.  We all as members have benefited beyond your wildest dreams because of the efforts of these two people.

Even when Eleanor's health started downward she still gave all of her efforts to better the club.  I'm sure right to the end yesterday her mind set was the same.  That was just Eleanor.  She had a passion that very few offer for something that would benefit a cause.

Now Eleanor is no longer physically with us, but her sprit will endure.  There will be good and bad times ahead for the Riehl family as well as some members and friends.  What we must remember is that Eleanor is in a better place and feeling no pain anymore.  We were blessed to have her with us and she gave us her all, always.  I'm proud to say that she and George are our friends and are lives have been made better because of that.

God bless George and the immediate family during this time and finally God bless Eleanor.  You were and are a Grand Lady.

John & Christie Lazenby

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional