Single speed Torqueflite

Hi everyone

Have a torqueflite of the '57-58 variety that drives in only one direction, backwards! The trans was rebuilt a few years back by the previous owner but the car has only done several hundred miles since. The oil is still clean. I removed the push button unit and worked the cable directly, no difference, no noises nothing when 1st, 2nd or drive is selected, but reverse clicks in nicely. The lack of forward motion happened immediately, wasn't a gradual loss.

I'm guessing (with my limited knowledge) that it's a front clutch problem?? Are there any other checks/tests I could do before pulling the trans out? Is it worth pulling the oil pan to look for "bits"?

Thanks for any help.

Owen