Paint Advice - Thank you

A big thank you to all of you who responded to my request for advice on painting procedures.

I had given this project a lot of thought as I moved through the restoration process and was quite confident I was approaching the paint the best way possible based on what I was trying to acheive as an end result. After talking to this experienced painter last Saturday I was second guessing myself but after reading all of your responses, I'm sure I need to stick to my guns and find someone who is willing to do it my way.

Just to be clear, the car was completely stripped with the exception of the rear suspension and the front subframe. I started with a self etching primer over the bare metal followed by an epoxy primer, followed by small amounts of filler, followed by a high build primer surfacer, followed by a sealer. The door jambs, trunk drip rail, and firewall as well as all of the inner fenders, inner doors, braces, and the underside of the hood and trunk were all painted at the same time prior to the body parts being installed. Once the new detailed front suspension and brakes were installed, I installed the rebuilt engine/trans before installing and aligning the fenders, hood, rad support, doors, and trunk lid so I wouldn't run the risk of damaging the engine compartment installing the engine later.

Once everything was aligned, I backtaped all the seams and masked the car extensively before applying the building primer and repeatedly blocking and priming along with a final guide coat until I was sure the car was straight. The car has been sitting in a dry garage for about one year with a sealer primer being the top coat. My intension is to sand the car well and apply another coat of sealer/surfacer and sanding that prior to applying the paint.

With carefull backtaping, I've found that very little overspray gets in to the jambs so I'm confident I won't have any major problems keeping the jambs and under hood clean. My only real concern is that all of the dust inside the car doesn't become a problem and that the reassembly of the car doesn't cause any noticeable damage.

Sorry to be so long winded!

300ly, Ryan Hill '65 300's

MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca