Re: [Chrysler300] rebuilding '64 413 motor

Re: [Chrysler300] rebuilding '64 413 motor

The right pair of '71 or later heads will already have the big valves & hardened seats. They will also have bigger combustion chambers, which will lower the compression ratio, but you can allow for that when you order the pistons. A compression ratio of 9 to 1 is , realistically, about all one should have with today's fuel quality anyway. I used a "purple shaft" cam in a street-driven 440 for a while, it didn't seem to make the car go noticeably better. A better choice would be the 375 horse 440 cam (the"roadrunner" cam), it has better idle quality and will produce all around better torque, horsepower and mileage.
Of course when you find out what it costs for a set of custom pistons for a 413, you may just decide to pick up a high perf 440 (which already has the good heads and cam) to freshen up and save your matching numbers original motor for the next person to own your car.

Mike