RE: [Chrysler300] Chrysler 300 Hurst oil pressure

RE: [Chrysler300] Chrysler 300 Hurst oil pressure

This is not an uncommon problem. It happened once when my father had his oil changed at the dealership on our '62 300. First you should always put as much oil as possible in the filter before installing it. When you start your engine after changing the oil, the time it takes to fill the filter, your engine is running dry. Since I've done that, I have never had a pump not pickup oil from the pan. IF by chance you have the problem after filling the filter, A $5 priming rod from Mopar Performance (P4286800) will get things going. You must pull the distributor and drive gear, so set the engine at TDC and the slot in the gear will be horizontal(easy to remember when putting back together). The rod installs on a 3/8 drill and goes straight down to the pump drive. The drill must be run in reverse
as that's the way the pump runs. About 5 seconds of that and you should be done.

Not sure if this forum has discussed the issue, but the Fram PH8A might interchange with the Motorcraft FL1A filter, but it is a markedly inferior filter. The Motorcraft (made by Purolator) filter is the best inexpensive filter available for BB Chryslers. The Fram has less than 200 sq. in. of filter area, the filter media is glued in with cardboard and the drainback valve habitually leaks down.

Good luck with the engine.

300ly

Russ Vaughan

john_nowosacki@xxxx wrote:
I had this happen only one time on a 413 equipped car, when I changed the oil by driving the car up on ramps, and letting the oil drain out for a number of hours, as I got side-tracked by another project. The oil pump lost its prime, and therefore I had no pressure. I had to resolve this by removing the pump (luckily it's externally mounted) and packing it with Vaseline, then re-installing it. The gooey vaseline aided the pump in getting an initial re-prime, and all has been right with the world ever since.
I no longer wait this long before putting new oil back in, nor do I drive up on ramps to change it.
I recommend using a guage, just to be sure of how much/little pressure you have.
John