Re: [Chrysler300] Chrysler 300 Hurst oil pressure

Re: [Chrysler300] Chrysler 300 Hurst oil pressure

Steve,
Sounds like the oil pump lost its prime. You could remove it and pack the gears with white grease or Vaseline to get things restarted.The dealer should have an "oil pump repair package" for a few bucks that contains all the gaskets and "o" rings needed to service the oil pump. A long rotor, high volume pump is available from Chrysler under part number P4007177.
I like to use a high volume pump, with a stock bypass spring inside, to maintain stock oil pressure levels. Excessively high oil pressure in a stock motor gains you nothing in the long run, it puts extra strain on the distributor drive gear and takes more power to maintain (can actually reduce gas mileage).Be careful about paying big bucks for a "high performance " pump, sometimes these are just made up from standard castings with stiff springs in the bypass for higher oil pressure. A high volume pump should have a longer body than a standard one because of the taller gears inside.
Mike