power assist brakes

 After rebuilding the brake system on my G, I adjusted them to where I have good pedal and good stopping power. After hooking up the vacuum power assist and starting the car, the pedal drops somewhat and the brakes lock solid to where the wheels will not turn. I then backed out the adjustable nut on the master cylinder to the point where the wheels would turn but then the pedal would go almost to the floor before stopping the car. Also when I turn off the engine, the pedal comes up fully.

Any idea of what's going on?

Barrie