Re: [Chrysler300] Gasoline Odor?????????

Robert Merritt wrote:

> Congrats on purchasing a great car.
> Besides checking the obvious 'fuel tank' , check the short flexible hose from the tank to the steel line. A crack in it sometimes doesn't show up until the tank is full. Also check up front where the flex line jumps from the frame to the fuel pump, and check the fuel pump itself to make sure it isn't leaking, either externally or has a cracked diaghram and is leaking gas into the oil pan. Besides the fire or explosion hazzard, this can dilute the oil and damage the bearings. Pull the dipstick and see if you can smell, or even taste gas in the oil, and if so replace the fuel pump and change the oil and filter before running the engine
> Be very careful to ground the car frame to the ground before draining the tank. I lost a car many years ago from static electricity while draining the tank to install an electric fuel pump as a pusher near the tank.
> Good luck
> Okie Bob

Hate to Harp on this BUT while you are checking the Rubber parts of your fuel
delivery system, PLEASE think about replacing at least ALL the hose parts
with NEW Fuel injection rated Rubber Fuel Line rubber. It is not because
of the pressure but because of the GAS itself, some modern formulations
have been known to EAT up the OLD stuff.
--
Paul Holmgren
Hoosier Corps #33, L-6