Re: [Chrysler300] Gasoline Odor?????????

Re: [Chrysler300] Gasoline Odor?????????

Congrats on purchasing a great car.
Besides checking the obvious 'fuel tank' , check the short flexible hose from the tank to the steel line. A crack in it sometimes doesn't show up until the tank is full. Also check up front where the flex line jumps from the frame to the fuel pump, and check the fuel pump itself to make sure it isn't leaking, either externally or has a cracked diaghram and is leaking gas into the oil pan. Besides the fire or explosion hazzard, this can dilute the oil and damage the bearings. Pull the dipstick and see if you can smell, or even taste gas in the oil, and if so replace the fuel pump and change the oil and filter before running the engine
Be very careful to ground the car frame to the ground before draining the tank. I lost a car many years ago from static electricity while draining the tank to install an electric fuel pump as a pusher near the tank.
Good luck
Okie Bob

trkosky@xxxx wrote:
Hi Everyone in Chrysler Land!

Have a 59 E I bought restored some several months ago. Just got around to
filling up the gas tank for the first time (boy, that wasn't cheap)!!!!!
Anyway, when I got home, parked her in the garage, and came out the following
morning, I smelled a very strong gasoline odor! Suffice it to say, I have no
intention of lighting a cigar out there! Any thoughts or suggestions?

Tom

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT