Re: [Chrysler300] Starting my Hemi w/o trans on

Re: [Chrysler300] Starting my Hemi w/o trans on

David,
The safest way to start your engine and test run it is to use a standard bell housing to bolt the starter to and a flywheel. You won't need a clutch or pressure plate, just the flywheel which has a starter ring gear for the starter to engage with. Many Dodge trucks in the mid-50s used Hemi engines so there should be some around. I have a flywheel and bell housing from a 1954 2-ton truck if you can't find one closer. E-mail me privately if you need more info.
This might be more trouble than just bolting the complete transmission and radiator on and run the engine on the floor. I have used a junk front section of frame to make a temporary engine stand for this. The one I used was from a 1960 that had a sub-frame bolted to the unibody with just a few bolts. Works great, since it even has provisions to bolt the radiator support, motor mounts, and tranny mount. The one I used even still had the front wheels and could be rolled outside to run. A simple trailer hitch welded on could make it something that could be shared with other club members close to your location.
Don't try to use just the converter, You'll take a chance on ruining it and make a real mess. Either use the complete tranny with Fluid or get a flywheel and bell housing.

Okie Bob

David Zakarian <arshog@xxxx> wrote:
I'm considering starting up the Hemi before wrestling the transmission on the engine. The purpose is to make sure, with the least amount of tear-down, that all the seals hold oil(rear main and end pan seals). My concern is that to do this I need to install the torque converter. How does the converter like running without the transmission assembled to it? Any ideas or thoughts out there? All input is appreciated.

Zak

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT