300 C fuel pump dramas & battery bracket trap

300 C fuel pump dramas & battery bracket trap

These two may help 300 C users.

1. Original fuel pump dramas - my car always lost the fuel if left unused for a period, it quicker to tip fuel down the rear carby to hurry it picking fuel up.

Then over last few weeks, it got worse. Pulled pump off (AC original I believe) - rubber diaphragm looked perfect, put it back on, worked a while but still bad.

Pulled it off again, looked closer this time - noticed one of ther valves seemed to have a very weak spring, you could push little flat disc in it very easily compared to the other.

Found a s/h Cadillac late 50s pump that had same valve body section, unsrewed it, swapped it onto 300 guts - works perfectly, sucks fuel quickly after standing. I felt pretty pleased. But before this, dramas of my own stupidity.

2. Over here in Australia 57 300s are not too common, likewise originasl battery retainers.

So in a hurry, I mount an aftermarket single clamp type across the battery. The battery dies eventually, and in a hurry, I chuck another battery in, it a bit taller, so I do not worry about the retainer.

About three weeks later, crossing a railway line at about 35 mph, the car dies, like it has lost ignition. Luckily I can coast into a car wash about 40 metres ahead. By this time, the cabin is so full of electrical smoke, I cannot see. I grab the lead off the Battery, and then see what has caused the problem. I have left the upright rod that come out off the fender shield (Non original to fit non original retainer), and the bump has seen it fall vackwards and it has to be the exact correct length to jam on the front terminal of the voltage regulator - instant arc welder!!??

Like in about 15 seconds it had burnt/melted the heavy power wire running to the ignition switch via the ammeter, then the other heavy wire across to the light switch !!!!! About 3 hours hanging upside down under the dash etc, to rebuild/retape the wiring harness ??!!!

But now my 300 sings again, it always great to drive nearly it anywhere.

pps that new 300C in the latest club magazine looks nearly the most ugly car ever, talk about using the ugly stick, what are those styling guys smoking, taking!!??

aussie christopher

Hotmail is now available on Australian mobile phones. Go to http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilecentral/signup.asp