....and Brake Drums some good news?

Hi to all...

I agree with Gary Nelson, and Warren, on that one - do not rejoice too
quickly !

Very interesting that the factory service manuals, 57 thru 63, do not cover
front or rear brake drum servicing. Only replacement is mentionned.

In order to sell complete brake drum assemblies, the vendor / manufacturer
would have to stock FOUR different assemblies, as each drum assembly is
different from all others; front hubs are different from rear hubs, of
course, and right sides are different from left sides due to stud direction.
Therefore each assembly is unique - look at the parts book !

The brake drums were sold by Chrysler as an entire assembly, INCLUDING THE
HUB. That is for a good reason - they cannot be separated, at least by the
average home mechanic. The drums are held on to the hubs by the wheel studs,
which are staked on (mushroomed) by a special tool. Which is, of course, no
longer available. In order to remove the studs, and separate drum from hub,
one would need to un-mushroom the studs before pressing them out - again,
another special tool, no longer available.

If the special tool is not used to remove the studs, the hole that they fit
into, in the hub, will be damaged and new studs will not seat. Since they
have been mushroomed, they are wider as they come out of the hub/drum than
they were when installed.
One can prevent this from happening by grinding down the studs, almost
level to the surface of the hub/drum, before punching them out.

I am not convinced that there is a need to mushroom the new studs, as the
factory did, thereby affixing the drum permanently onto the hub. It seems
that new drums center themselves pretty good using the hub, and of course
the 5 studs. But, again, if the studs do indeed need to be mushroomed,
where to find the tool to do it ?

If anybody knows of a source for the two necessary tools to perform the drum
swap, please let me know !

John

"Warren Anderson wrote:

The tooling necessary AND the expertise needed to properly
transfer new drums to old hubs should not be impossible to find. The studs
will have to be new also in order to provide the OE staked on configuration.
This is where the special tooling comes in. Left hand threaded studs some
have noted can be impossible to find and RH seems OK but will then not be
OE on left (drivers side) wheels. If the center of the new drum pilots
properly on the old hub, staked studs are, IMHO, not entirely necessary. In
any case, each stud is pressed out singularly so as not to distort hub."