Re: [Chrysler300] 300H Fuel pump problem

Mark Souders wrote:

> Hi Group,
> Let's say there is a fuel delivery problem with a 413 dual quad. And let's
> say it may be caused by a pump push rod that's too short. Is it practical
> to install an electric pump somewhere back near the fuel tank and pump the
> fuel through a "dummy" mechanical pump on the engine? Is a pump that pumps
> 5.5 to 9 PSI strong enough to flow ample fuel to the carbs? The book says
> 2.5 to 5 PSI but I must allow for friction loss through the line to the
> engine. The root of my problem I think is a push rod that's too short in
> this "brand new" engine. I'm unable to get the rod out without dismantling
> the engine, as I believe the top of the rod may have a slight mushroom on
> it. I sure would like to meet the guy who "rebuilt" this motor. Is it that
> simple or is there something I'm overlooking? Will the carbs be able to
> regulate this pressure?
>
> Thanks for the help,
> Mark Souders

There was a period of time where there exsisted a BAD BATCH of big block fuel
pump push rods.

That said, in the 70's we ran a electric pump at the tank, through the stock
mechanical pump for quite some time in our race car. NO Problems ever, well
ok once, when the driver forgot to turn the electric pump on and starved out
the motor at a little over 7,000 rpm. Luckely we not at a track near home so
any of the folks who knew us didnt see this, therefore no ammo for a ribbing
session.

--
Paul Holmgren
Hoosier Corps #33, L-6