300H Fuel pump problem

Hi Group,
Let's say there is a fuel delivery problem with a 413 dual quad. And let's
say it may be caused by a pump push rod that's too short. Is it practical
to install an electric pump somewhere back near the fuel tank and pump the
fuel through a "dummy" mechanical pump on the engine? Is a pump that pumps
5.5 to 9 PSI strong enough to flow ample fuel to the carbs? The book says
2.5 to 5 PSI but I must allow for friction loss through the line to the
engine. The root of my problem I think is a push rod that's too short in
this "brand new" engine. I'm unable to get the rod out without dismantling
the engine, as I believe the top of the rod may have a slight mushroom on
it. I sure would like to meet the guy who "rebuilt" this motor. Is it that
simple or is there something I'm overlooking? Will the carbs be able to
regulate this pressure?

Thanks for the help,
Mark Souders