'57 300C - rear spring leaves no? & brake fade

'57 300C - rear spring leaves no? & brake fade

Hi all from Australia where our dollar is still too low.

1. I know 300 C rear springs are supposed to have 7 leaves - but how come my 3 cars all have six, and all seem fairly unmolested original cars, 2 that ceased being used in the early 70s. (build dates Dec '56, and April '57, so that maybe shoots outthe window that only early cars had 7, then went 6 later in prodn for softer ride?)
Add to this the sping u bolts that hold the springs to the diff do not seem long enough for 7 leaves. One of the cars seems way firmer in the rear, yet it only has 6 leaves.
Please explain why or how all were changed seemingly early on - was there a company recall, replacement - or otherwise was 6 original, what is the prooof that 7 were mandatory, not say just special order?

2. There are historic races here over Easter - the track is about 4 klms, with two straights, where I'd guess my 300 will hit 120mph, and on the other 110mph, both with 40 mph right angle or hairpin bend at ends. Brakes are stock.
Is it a waste of time trying semi cmpetition linings on the front?. The event is called regularity, 5-7 laps only, so I can just go slower from the start to nurse the brakes, but friends of mine coming over here have some pretty hot Healeys, always bug me, have done so for some time, and I'd like to show them how good a near stock 300C is. My 57 Tbird cooks its stock brakes at about 3 laps, but can run with/faster than stock XK120-140 Jags until then. I can use the Bird, but would like to see how the hemi pulls, and how it corners with that pretty feelingless power steering.

MSN Instant Messenger now available on Australian mobile phones.?Go to http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilecentral/hotmail_messenger.asp